Welcome to Big Dogs Porch!

Big and small - we love them all! Join today and discuss everything dog with our fantastic community of like-minded people!

Registered members do not see these ads. Join today!

Getting a Dog in a Jeep

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by NYDVC, Jan 19, 2017.

1. NYDVC

NYDVC New Porchie

Hello again Gang. First thanks so much for your help previously. I really appreciate it.

New issue:

My 11 month old Newf "Crush" and my Jeep don't seem to get along. It takes a lot of effort to get him in the back because of the high jump it takes at the tail gate. He is just too big to pick up now at about 90 pounds. He can jump in and does on occasion but he hasn't made it all the time and I had to grab his hind quarters to get him in. I got a ramp but He is very reluctant to use it and usually just tries to jump in. Its only 18" wide which might be an issue, I have seen ramps that are 24" wide which might help.

Are their other options? Any Jeep owners out there with giant breeds?

Once again, thanks for all your help guys.

Rich

Sponsor Porchies Plus do not see these ads. Find out more!

3. NamasteDogs

NamasteDogs BDP Staff
    Administrator Sponsor Porchie

We have a Honda CRV and while a ramp would be nice, Journey jumps in because we made car trips fun with lots of treats and exciting places :D

4. NYDVC

NYDVC New Porchie

Thanks but that does not seem to be totally working for us. I have actually put his dinner up there and he gets excited but usually wont jump in to eat. The trips are fine, he loves our Honda Odyssey, jumps right in.

5. ShiLowe's Lions

ShiLowe's Lions Veteran Porchie
    Sponsor Porchie Plus

We have 2 sets of these. We have Leonbergers. Trying to lift them into the suburban or Durango is tough. Love them and they come in many options. Fold down small and easy to lift in and out. We even used on set in the lake from lake bottom to dock deck for our oldest girl when bank climbing got difficult.

http://www.petloader.com/

SewFine likes this.
  6. SaintWinslow

SaintWinslow Veteran Porchie

I think the steps are a great idea. I'm sure it'll take a little time but maybe more familiar concept than the ramp. My intention was to buy those for our Saint as he aged, but it was not needed for other reasons.

Because it was such a struggle to get him to let us help him into the car after he had surgery and a leg that he should not jump on, we taught our girls differently. We wanted Winnie to let us lift him, but he got so upset because he was used to jumping that it was hard and we usually ended up having to let him. So, when we got our girls, I taught them to put their front feet in the car and let me lift their rear. It worked for Rally and she always puts her front feet in then hops up, but she's in the right position if someday we j end to help (which I expect since she's an orthopedic mess). May on the other hand, puts her front feet in then looks at me to lift her still. Luckily, she's only 65 pounds. I'm not sure if you are able to lift your dog's rear end up if you could teach him to put his front feet in, but might try it if you are able. I get a lot of dogs in the tub that way, too. But not easy on the back, so probably would be good for him to learn a different way.

One thing we did for Winnie when he insisted on jumping was to load him from the back door instead of through the cargo area so he could use the floorboard for a more gradual jump. He still rode in the cargo area but it was easier for him to get in from the side. The girls ride belted in the back seat, but I think if a dog rode in my current cargo area, I could lower one seat and let them climb in. Maybe that would help?

And I definitely think big, happy excited parties on the way into the car, whatever way you choose, can't hurt.