Welcome to Big Dogs Porch!

Big and small - we love them all! Join today and discuss everything dog with our fantastic community of like-minded people!

Registered members do not see these ads. Join today!

Mia's Report Card

Discussion in 'Assistance & Therapy Dogs' started by oddmanout, Jun 6, 2013.

1. SewFine

SewFine Veteran Porchie
    Sponsor Porchie Plus

Yes, she is! :love:

2. LJL

LJL BDP Staff
    Moderator Sponsor Porchie

She's beautiful!

3. oddmanout

oddmanout Power Porchie
    Sponsor Porchie

Today's payday so we had a bunch of errands to accomplish. Little Miss Mia was rock solid as we hit Tractor Supply, the "big" WalMart, Lowe's and the grocery store. Oh, we had to stop for gas, too, and she was a little confused as to why she wasn't getting out of the car.

I snapped this pic in Lowe's and laughed a little harder than should -- because I often call her "schmatta" and here she is, laying in front of boxes of "rags".

[​IMG]

LJL and SewFine like this.
  4. SewFine

SewFine Veteran Porchie
    Sponsor Porchie Plus

Good girl Mia! :thumbup:

:rofl:

5. NamasteDogs

NamasteDogs BDP Staff
    Administrator Sponsor Porchie

6. oddmanout

oddmanout Power Porchie
    Sponsor Porchie

Been a while since we posted so here's how our girl is faring.

We still battle the itchies and chewing holes in her skin but I can say that we are at least managing them a little better. Between Zyrtec and Benedryl I'm able to keep the itching to an "acceptable" level. And when she does rip herself open, wheat germ oil seems to calm the skin and help it to heal without the crusty, yucky stuff that makes it look worse than it actually is.

Facebook friends already know how shocked I was to discover that Mia had worms for the first time in her adult life -- and, of course I blame Gru. But, LittleMissSensitiveAndAllrgicToEverything got thru the wormer protocol in fine form.

I went out today (first time in a while) because I decided I NEEEEEEDED wine. I've been on the wagon for a while because.... well, just 'cuz .... but I'm fighting a bug invasion that leaves me feeling I not only need a nice glass of vino, but I deserve it for not running away screaming like a girl over it.

Anyway, we're standing on the ridiculously long line at the new little WalMart and Mia starts alerting like freakin' crazy to the man in the OTHER line next to us. Despite being told to mind her manners, she was determined to let me know that *this man* had something wrong. So, I leaned over and quietly asked the man if he felt okay because my dog was alerting to HIM. He said he was okay but could feel his blood sugar dropping -- and that he hoped he could get thru the line before something bad happened. He decided to call someone to come be with him in case his SHTF.
    :hitfan:

I was a bit puzzled because Mia is not a Diabetic Alert Dog. She's Seizure Alert and Response. But as I thought about it, in my case, we don't know if my seizures cause the low blood sugar or if low blood sugar causes my seizures. I am not diabetic. Every test run has come back absolutely in the normal range. So my seizure disorder is totally blamed on scar tissue in my brain that causes all manner of hinky stuff. However, if I go down with a seizure, blood sugars come back in the 40s. And while every body is different, there are only "so many" genetic disparities out there and I suppose someone could smell (???) similarly enough to me that Mia picked up on it.

I did wait with the dude outside on a bench until his friend came to be with him. He was super-amazed with Mia (frankly, I was, too) and he went off to finish his day.

And here's a recent pic of my LittleMissMia (and her foster buddy, Gru)
    upload_2016-5-28_14-4-35.jpeg

LJL and SewFine like this.
  7. SewFine

SewFine Veteran Porchie
    Sponsor Porchie Plus

Mel, that's amazing! Go Mia!!! And yes, low blood sugar can cause all kinds of problems, so you may need to get that checked out.

8. LJL

LJL BDP Staff
    Moderator Sponsor Porchie

Way to go Mia!

9. ShiLowe's Lions

ShiLowe's Lions Veteran Porchie
    Sponsor Porchie Plus

Good job Mia and Mel for listening to the pupper.