Welcome to Big Dogs Porch!

Big and small - we love them all! Join today and discuss everything dog with our fantastic community of like-minded people!

Registered members do not see these ads. Join today!

Show collar?

Discussion in 'Showing Dogs' started by Dignity, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Dignity

Dignity Power Porchie
    Sponsor Porchie

Hi Everybody!!

I'm not really looking to show, but who knows. When I got Zero, the breeder was on the fence about if she wanted him as a show dog or not, so she sold him under a pet contract with the hopes of re-evaluating him and possibly changing it from a pet contract to a show contract. I was looking to take a couple confirmation classes because I know nothing of confirmation other than the dogs look pretty are look well behaved. The class that I'm looking at asks that you bring a 'show collar' - how do I know what is right for a Great Pyrenees? Is one collar 'more right' than another?

Sponsor Porchies Plus do not see these ads. Find out more!

3. GVK

GVK Power Porchie

I would be interested in what folks have to say as well. I just bought a snake chain and show lead to start training but am interested in what folks here use on coated breeds.

4. ShiLowe's Lions

ShiLowe's Lions Veteran Porchie
    Sponsor Porchie Plus

This is Dakota's. I love this option over the choke style because I don't have extra chain to tighten up. With the choke I never felt like I was secure. I was always messing with it. it also effectively has a handle to hold onto . Even when I drop then leash to stack her I can hook my fingers under the chain to stabilize her and a slight turn of my hand can redirect her head to straight ahead. Then when I pick up the leash again there is only an inch or two to take the slack out. Dakota also works best on this style. In the show photo I'm holding the chain with 2 or 3 fingers. She was completely secure. Heide shows on choke style leads and I feel that her dogs have an easier time pulling or dragging even when I handle them.

IMG_3755.JPG
    IMG_3754.JPG

Dignity likes this.
  5. ShiLowe's Lions

ShiLowe's Lions Veteran Porchie
    Sponsor Porchie Plus

I know some also prefer longer leads. I like them short. A fold or two in the hand. No hanging out. Thicker lead material. No burns, and I know it's not gonna break.

For Dakota as a pup, I got the cheapest half nylon webbing half chain check collar I could find with narrow webbing. It worked for her first couple shows until we upgraded to the current one.

#4 ShiLowe's Lions, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    Dignity likes this.
  6. Amaziah

Amaziah Veteran Porchie
    Sponsor Porchie Plus Sponsor Porchie

I like snake chains for the girls. They will show on a loose lead & it rarely tightens. It depends mostly on what works best for handler & dog. I know with the snake you can position in such a way under the chin to keep heads up if a dog likes to drop its head while moving & shouldn't.
    Arabella on a snake chain.
    image.jpeg